Tuesday, December 19, 2006

He just might be a lawyer someday

Hearkening back to my days in law school, my son, Brandelion, and I had an "argument." You see, about a year ago when he was 4 he just walked out the front door one day. By the time I figured it out, he was across the street and down about 4 houses. After catching up with him and simultaneously sobbing and yelling at him to "NEVER DO THAT AGAIN!!!!" I employed AtHomeHubby with the job of installing a lock of some sort on our front door, up high. So, for about a year we have had sort of a sliding lock (like a door chain)....

Long story short, when I got home today AtHomeHubby was in the back of the house with DramaQueen (age 2), and when I tried to open the front door, the latch was keeping it closed, so I couldn't get in. I was just about to call AtHomeHubby's cell phone, when I heard the door unlock. Brandelion had pushed an ottoman over by the door and undone the lock.

Here's the conversation:

Me: Hi ... did you unlock the door?

Brandelion: Yes! (Proud...) I helped you.

Me: Thanks, but what's the rule about opening the door? You're not supposed to do it AT ALL, even for mommy.

Brandelion: But, mom, I didn't open the door - I just helped!

Me: It's the same thing -- don't do it -- it's dangerous.

Brandelion: But I didn't do it, I just helped you do it!

Oh my god - He is splitting hairs just like a lawyer! Next I am going to have to explain accomplice liability - if you help commit a crime it is the same as being the one who committed it!

2 comments:

LID said...

Isn't there a Good Samaritan Law -- something about not being held liable when "helping" someone? You must be so proud of the young litigator!

Brad&Jenny said...

Those kid shows make the whole "I can help" phrase sound so wonderful don't they! Somtimes at home we say that too. Usually when were are not realy helping at all. Sounds like he kinda saved the day though.
Jenny and I also like the way Brandonlion says "yeah" in that super neutral tone. It seem to say that I'm not sure what your talking about, but I think I will agree until it sounds bad.
"Brad. Are you going to leave all those dishes in the front room?"
..."Yeah"
In fact I think it could work for the president too.
Mr President, has the situation in Iraq deteriated into all out civil war?
...Yeah