Monday, March 5, 2007

The Grass is Greener on the Weekend

One of the big advantages in my move to downtown is the compressed work week schedule. Essentially, I get to go into to work at the ridiculously early hour of 7:00 and work "80 in 9" - 80 hours in 9 days, and then I get a Friday off - so...every other weekend is a three day weekend!

FRIDAY

This past weekend was my first "flex day" and I sure enjoyed it. We spent Friday going to the gym (work out with hubby!), the grocery store, and the mall (JCPenny - working gal needs a new suit!). Then the kids and I headed off to the library while AtHomeHubby went to work for the evening.

And, can I just say, love love love the local library. Even though our local branch doesn't have much to speak of here is my method: (1) find books I want on Amazon; (2) go to the County-wide library web site and find the same books; (3) request a hold on the books; (4) wait for an email telling me to go pick up books at the local branch. To me, it feels like shopping for free, and I have been reading a lot of vacuous "chick-lit" and I love it!

After the library, I made a healthy *NOT* dinner for the kids. Do tater tots count as a vegetable? Who cares! They had fun. While hubby was at work, I zoned out and watched TV - my idea of a perfect evening, at least, when I am tired and hubby is at work.

SATURDAY

Saturday did not go so smoothly. You see, I was feeling guilty for being in a bad mood last weekend and wanted to make it up to the fam. So, I found this chili festival going on about 45 minutes from where we live. Lured by the promises of "games for the kids" "lots of great food" "classic car and motorcycle show", etc, we decided to go.

In the words of the immortal Julia Roberts:

BIG MISTAKE. HUGE.

The entire event was windy, loud, boring, and expensive. We stuck it out about 2 hours, and then Brandelion said, "mommy, it's too cold here (windy, actually son), can we go back to the desert where it's hot?" So, off we went, back home to where the temperatures were over 70.

Unfortunately, little miss Drama Queen did not want to go home. Well, she did, she just wanted to sit in the other seat in the van. A couple of weeks ago, I let the kids switch, and now she wants to switch everytime. We told her no, hubby had to physically force her into her seatbelt, and she SCREAMED bloody murder for about 20 minuntes.

We managed to get home, rest for a bit, do dinner and put the kiddos down to bed. Hubby and I had a nice evening, even though we were both pretty worn out from the Crappy Chili Festival.

SUNDAY
Sunday we continued our new found commitment to going to church. It is sometimes hard for us to go, but we are always glad we do. Brandelion is starting to adjust to going to Sunday school, which we find encouraging given that he starts kindergarten next year. After, we headed out for Chinese food which went exceptionally well. Drama Queen however seemed to be trying to tell everyone in the restaurant that she went potty - but the waitress and the other diners seemed to take it in stride.
We headed home, and hubby, once again, headed off to work, only to return very early because the restaurant was VERY slow, and now that the minimum wage in our state went up his managers are very attuned to labor costs. It was a nice surprise to get to hang out with him for an hour or so before I had to head off to bed ridiculously early in anticipation of my 5 am wake up call.
All, in all, a nice weekend, and now I am back at work. At least I actually feel rested.
And yes, I know this was a VERY boring post - but, my life is pretty simple sometimes, and I like it that way. Thanks for indulging me.

5 comments:

Angel said...

Flex hours? That sounds nice. I did that at an architectural firm in the summer and LOVED it. Flex hours to hubby is getting home before 7pm after leaving before 7 am every day.

Glad you had a good weekend. Here's to many more of them!

Mike said...

Yeeeeeeeeeee Haw for weekdays off!

I have recently realized ther are not nearly enoguh people Yeee Hawing anymore

Working Gal said...

Angel - yep - flex hours are one of the many benefits of my low, low government salary!

Mike - I can make my husband cringe by yelling out, "TEXAS TEXAS YEE HAW" with the enthusiasm of a UT cheerleader. I'm teaching it to my kids, just to torture hubby. He's not from Texas, and so any dose of "Texas Pride" is WAY too much for him. LOL

Angel said...

Awwww.... I bet if you heard what hubby makes here you'd cringe. It isn't a lot. But woo hoo (or as you all have covered... yeeeee hawww) to any perks!

Mike said...

Yeeeeeeeee Haw! We got Angel in PA doing it now. Now onto the rest of the world.

With a little Bob Schneider back ground music!