Thursday, May 10, 2007

The Mixing Bowl Defense

I promised to post about a funny story about me and a bug. The theme over at DraMa's blog is wussy ways you've made other people kill bugs for you. Please keep in mind that we have pest control service at our house every two months. When you live in the desert you have to be worried about poisonous flying things and spiders. Particularity black widows and scorpions. So, to protect the home front - pest control service is a must. At least it is a muss for a big wussy like me.


As my reader(s) know, AtHomeHubby does work a couple of nights a week at a restaurant. About a year ago, he was working at the restaurant, and I was home alone with the kids. I was having a lovely evening, having gotten the kids down to sleep. I was hanging out, watching TV and decided that I needed to get my comfy pajama pants out of the laundry and change into them (don't judge me - yes, I know they were dirty. Dirty is relative).

So, I headed off to our bedroom, and into our bathroom where the laundry hamper is. So far, so good. It was about 8:30 at night, with AtHomeHubby's ETA around 10 or 11 that evening. I went into the bathroom, and picked my pajama pants off the top of the hamper. I changed into them and as I tossed my jeans into the hamper

I

saw

IT sitting on the ground.

And then I freaked. out.

I quickly patted myself down, frantically feeling all over my legs to make sure there wasn't another spider in my newly put on pajama pants. I then got that shiver up and down my spine and screamed a little (the kids were asleep after all).

Then, like the big, brave mama bear that I am, I ran out of the bathroom, out of the bedroom, shut the door behind me, and ran out into the living room. I grabbed my cell phone - jumped in the chair, started crying and rocking myself and dialed AtHomeHubby.

Ring.

Ring.

restaurant chatter in the back ground

Hubby: Hey, babe, what's up?

Me: crying hysterically

Hubby: panic - thinking that something is wrong with the kids. Steph, what is it?

Me: There's a spider

Hubby: relieved and annoyed. Um...Ok

Me: No, really, a big huge, black spider with skinny legs - I think it's a black widow and I am freaking out.

Hubby: You need to kill it.

Me: NO, YOU need to kill it.

Hubby: I'm at work.

Me: Then come home.

Hubby: You're crazy - and need to calm down. Just contain it until I get home. Hon, I've got to go, are you going to be okay?

Me: bottom lip shaking I - I - I guess so....

Hubby: see you soon - you can do it.

So, I started looking around the house for a containment device. I went through the kitchen and found our biggest yellow mixing bowl. I gathered up my courage and crept to the bathroom. Please, God, let it be in the same spot - if it is not there I am going to FREAK OUT even more.

I opened the bedroom door - and went into the bathroom.

IT was STILL THERE!!!

I took a deep breath, raised the ceramic mixing bowl over my head and slammed it down onto the carpet, trapping the black widow!!!!

After the adrenaline surge subsided a little I backed out of the room with a towel and shut the bedroom door.

I then shoved the towel under the crack in the door - JUST IN CASE!

Then I headed back to the living room, and by this time I was SO creepy crawly that I pulled the leather ottoman out into the center of the living room - checked it for bugs, and sat on top of it with my legs crossed - that way nothing could get to me.

AtHomeHubby came home about an hour later and found me there - perched on the ottoman with tear stains down my face.

What a WIMP!!!

1 comment:

Angel said...

This sounds EXACTLY like something I have done! Even down to sitting in a chair in the MIDDLE of the room away from walls and other things. LOL! I get the creepy crawlies, I keep rubbing my skin and can't kill the big bugs myself either. Heavy cups or glasses contain them well until hubs gets home.