Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Mother's Day-Lapalooza

My mother's day:


7:15 AM - ahh...I get to sleep in today!!!! Roll back over... close eyes...


7:16 AM - (Brandelion) MOM!!!! Don't WAKE UP yet!!!! We are making a surprise for you.


7:16 - 7:45 - try to fall back asleep


7:45 watch the last 15 minutes of John McCain on Meet the Press. Geez, he's old! I do love watching a Republican back-peddle.


8:45 - kids and hubby bring me crepes for breakfast. They also bring balloons, and adorable cards and handmade pictures...


9:45 - off to church where the sermon is about Julia Ward Howe and how mother's day started out as a women's peace movement. Here is a part of her Mother's Day Proclamation:


Arise then...women of this day!

Arise, all women who have hearts!

Whether your baptism be of water or of tears!

Say firmly:"We will not have questions answered by irrelevant agencies,

Our husbands will not come to us, reeking with carnage,

For caresses and applause.

Our sons shall not be taken from us to unlearn

All that we have been able to teach them of charity, mercy and patience.

We, the women of one country,

Will be too tender of those of another country

To allow our sons to be trained to injure theirs."


This made me cry and think about how I would feel if Brandelion someday had to serve in war. Would it undo all that I have tried to teach him? And how could I ever send my son to kill the son of another mother?


I know I haven't posted much politically before - but from a purely human perspective - I want this war to stop. Mothers should speak out, and I don't do it often enough.


Peace Out,

Working Gal


No comments: