Thursday, February 22, 2007

He's Moving


This was too traumatic a couple of days ago when it happened, but now it is funny.

AtHomeHubby and I have really laid down the law about the rules in the mornings because of this and this. The deal is that if the rules are broken, no TV for the day. Hard to believe that AtHomeHubby signed on for that, but he is a glutton for punishment. The rules for Brandelion include - no food without asking permission, he has to stay in bed until 7:00, and he can't go outside.

This was tough for him for several days, and he lost a lot of TV privileges. On Tuesday, he informed AtHomeHubby that,

I'm moving to Nana's! You're too mean, and she's nice.

He then started crying, packing, and called me at work to say goodbye. It was horrible. I felt really helpless, but AtHomeHubby persisted that this was "good for him" and "it will make him appreciate us."

Then, AtHomeHubby told Brandelion how much he would miss him, and how we would all cry all the time if he left.

Brandelion finally relented, broke down and sobbed, and has been the SWEETEST kid for the last couple of days.

Even though, at the time, I thought AtHomeHubby was being WAY too heartless by just letting Brandelion pack, etc....

Here goes....

I hate to admit it....

He was right.

7 comments:

LID said...

He was right WG! Way to go Big Papa! Sometimes the best lessons are hardest on US!

Angel said...

You got spammed... good lord those spammers are relentless.

Anyway, you are giving me visions of things in my future! Maybe I'll learn a trick or two to prepare for these battles.

I'm glad Brandelion didn't move out. Honestly, I would have done just what hubs did. Stopping them only strengthens their resolve. But helping them pack and telling them you'll miss them diffuses them more quickly.

However, for my son, reverse psychology DOES NOT WORK! HE could care less if I say "BYE! I'M LEAVING" and then walk away in hopes he'll follow me. Instead he waves me off and goes about his play. So, if he ever wants to move out prior to 18, I'm screwed. He'll do it.

Angel said...

My son tried the moving out thing too. Packed a bag and was going to grandmas. I told him if he did I would miss him dearly. He cried too and unpacked. These things come in waves. Now I'm battling the 'I hate school I am NOT going' dilemma. Yuck!

Way to go! Sometimes he'll be right and sometimes you'll be right. That's what makes you a team. Great job athomedaddy!

OhTheJoys said...

You gotta be TOUGH! Heh.

Flawed And Disorderly said...

Ah, how sad! But I REALLY admire your hubby. It's sad to say, but I'm going through the terrible twos with three toddlers right now. 3 totally different personalities. My oldest is so strong willed. I feel like I'm having to break a wild horse..it's that tough some days. It hard to break the child of their bad habits without breaking the child's spirit. Kudos to you guys! Oh, came over to get your link for my blog roll. Let me know if you oppose.

Queen of the Mayhem said...

My daughter told me she wanted to move because I was too mean. I calmly opened the back door and told her to "get out". Not too surprisingly, she has yet to say that again. Now, if ONLY my son would threaten to leave! Nope, not him! He is staying until the end of TIME! :)

Don't tell your hubs he is right...it will only go to his head!
(hee-hee)

Anonymous said...

He took away the TV? Man, that is dedication! I never ever threaten to take away the TV. How would I ever get anything done without it??