Friday, January 19, 2007

Ready to grow up

This story comes from AtHomeHubby last night after Brandelion earnestly talked his ear off about growing up. This is going to be a long post. Indulge me. The conversation began with

Daddy, does everyone have a last name?

AtHomeHubby patiently explained that yes, we all do, and was then peppered with questions about what everyone's last name is. Then the little one asked,

When I have kids will they have *insert last name* as a last name?

OH MY GOD!!! He just realized (or at least vocalized) that he may, someday have children!!

Then it got pretty serious,

Daddy, when I have kids will you take care of them?

No, son, you'll be a grown up then, and you'll take care of them.

But I don't have a job.

You will.

But I don't have a car to go buy groceries.

You will.

Will I live in this house?

Well, you can, but you will probably have your own house.

**crying** DADDY - I don't want my own house, I don't want to lose you....DADDDDYYYY***

(insert a bit of working gal jealousy here - I was never mentioned. Commence guilt.)

Can I live next door?

Sure

Where will I work?

I don't know, what do you want to do?

I can be a cook at *insert name of restaurant where AtHomeHubby works part time*!

(working gal recalling cute saying: Brandelion used to say, "I want to be a COOKER!")

Sure son, you could even be a chef, and OWN your own restaurant.

Like the pizza restaurant we go to for lunch sometimes?

Sure.

If I have a girl, I want to name her Ainsley (Drama Queen). And if I have a boy....I don't know - what should I name a boy, daddy?

You can figure that out later when you grow up and get married.

Who am I going to marry?

A girl.

But will I have to kiss her? That's gross

(score 1 for team No Kissing)

Maybe when you get older you will want to kiss a girl.

I don't know....

I tell you what, why don't you just focus on being 5 for now. Then next year you can think about being six.

Then the funniest moment:

Daddy does Claire have our last name?

Yes, she is my niece.

Your NURSE! How can she take care of you - she is just a BABY!

My little man is growing up. I am so proud of him, but it also really pulls at my heart strings. He takes everything very seriously, and I realize how observant he is. This made me realize that I need to keep his world as child like as possilble, and keep all grown up issues (like money, stress, etc) out of his earshot.

Kids are so absorbant, I think sometimes we forget.

2 comments:

LID said...

AtHomeHubby definitely needs his own blog -- come on you're a laywer -- talk him into it! If only to provide us with "real-time" conversation updates. Don't feel too bad, you're not alone, when my wife comes home from work she's not allowed to do anything for the Helper, "No Daddy will do it!" after a while he gives in and "lets" her make him dinner. It's just that they're so used to us, all day, everyday. Same hold true for SAHM's. Dad's get shunned at the door.

Working Gal said...

Thanks for the understanding - It's hard to take the rejection - but at least he wants AtHomeHubby, and not some babysitter.

I have TRIED to get him to start a blog - our computer problems make it hit or miss - and I think he is pretty overwhelmed right now. I think it would be a good outlet for him - plus he is a good writer. We'll see